Health officials: E. coli outbreak responsible for illness of 20 people who attended Cleveland County Fair, including 2-year-old boy who died.
(Fox News) SHELBY, N.C – North Carolina health officials say an E. coli outbreak is responsible for the illness of 20 people who attended the Cleveland County Fair, including a 2-year-old boy who died Friday night, according to WCNC.
State health officials said the illness has affected residents in several counties.
Several victims were treated and released from hospitals.
Jordan McNair, 12, a middle school student from Gaston County, is sedated and on dialysis at Levine Children’s Hospital in Charlotte because his kidneys are failing, according to WCNC.
We were deeply saddened to learn there has been a death in our community in connection with the ongoing E. coli outbreak in the region,” said Christopher Dobbins, Gaston County health director.
“This tragic loss underscores the seriousness of this E. coli outbreak, and we want to remind the public that it is critically important to seek medical attention immediately if you have had diarrhea for longer than three days, or bloody diarrhea that began on or after October 1, 2012, and you attended the Cleveland County Fair this year.”
Read more at Fox News.